Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The hot air balloon and the skulls.



There I was driving home around 10 am last Saturday when I caught a brief glimpse of a hot air balloon floating towards Lake Quinsigamond from which I had just left. I yanked the jeep around and heading in the direction I thought I had saw the balloon.

I would get a glimpse of the balloon and change direction, only to find it pop up somewhere else. As I was flying by U Mass Hospital I almost slammed into a van that had just stopped in the middle of the road for no reason, so I thought. I was ready to lay on the horn and give the driver a 1 finger salute when I noticed the big rack in the back just inches from my bumper and the words "Maine Balloon excursions" on the side. They sped off and I followed them until they stopped beside the Fallon Clinic Building on Plantation. I got out and asked if they knew where their balloon may land and they replied that they think on the other side of Quinsig. So off I head.

I see the balloon dip behind a tree line, pop up, go out of view again. I am getting frustrated.........Then I see this lone single man skull (probably has a proper name, wouldn't know) gliding under the 290 Bridge heading torwards the sail club.

I yank the jeep around, again, and off I go to the sailing club. I get there a bit late for this guy but 2 more are heading my way. I snap a few of the lead skull. The fog is rising off the water nice, the light is kind bright but I turns out ok. As they get out of range a image I have seen pops into my head of a photograph of a skuller taken from above. So I pack up the bag and head to the Rte 9 bridge to get into position. Once there I realize I am going to have to wait a bit for them to head back my way. About 45 minutes later.....(a amount of time had I realized that I would have to wait would have sent me packing with the words of "screw it" on my lips) they return. I had to figure out about where they would pass under so I had to guess where to aim the camera initially. I got what I wanted. I thought this shot would be the best with the wake of the skull and the oar swirls trailing the skull outta the frame. A wall hanger no, but its a start to get a better one.

Aint Cappa or Bresson yet but working on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home