Sunday, October 30, 2005

Take one idiot, add a 4wd jeep, and some woods. What do ya get? An idiot with a 4WD jeep stuck in the woods.




So there I was, covered head to toe in mud. Cell phone not working. Jeep stuck up to the axles.

I'm cold.

I'm pissed.

I'm a frikkin idiot!

But a lucky frikkin idiot.

Why did I decide to take Mellon road? Mellon road is not a "road" but a four wheel drive trail. Why did I continue down Mellon "Road"? Why do men climb mountains? Dive to the depths of the see? Eat strange exotic animals in far away places?

I almost made it without getting stuck, almost. I buried the jeep up to the axles. When I stepped out I was in mud up to my crotch, in the middle of no where, and without cell phone service. I was screwed. I walked about a quarter of a mile down to a road, a dirt road hard packed and meant to be traversed by people like me, not the mud bog the jeep, my plans for Quabbin, and my pride were stuck in. There was a house near by but I just couldn't muster the courage to walk up to the door at 7:00 AM covered in mud, looking like the swamp thing. So I just headed back to the jeep to sit and pout for a bit until a more decent time to present myself to strangers. Then I hear the truck.........

I was saved.


To make a long story short, a stranger risked his vehicle to yank me out. I got his address and he will get a nice chunk of change for helping.

Of course it doesn't end there.

I drove home wearing sopping wet shoes and socks, a pair of underwear, and a black pull over. You should have seen the look I got at the gas station when I put air into my tires wrapped in a checkered blanket.

All I can say is "Shit Happens."

The only shots I got this day were a few Polariods I took of the jeep and my clothes when I finally got home.




Oh yeah, and by the way.

I never made it to Quabbin Reservoir.

1 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

Well thanks for the info! I was curious about that road. Just so happens that I was in that area that same afternoon.

I was planning a bicycle ride into Quabbin from Gate 40, but there were so many people parked there, I decided to head back down 32A to Gate 41, and was looking for a shortcut. I missed the turn for Mellon Rd., and ended up going down Breen Rd. to Mellon, which was fine the rest of the way.

Good thing I missed the turn, especially since I don't even have a 4WD!

Hope you find your way to Quabbin eventually!

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home