Monday, December 12, 2005

A ton of bricks crashing onto ones head never felt so good.

As many have known, the Ol' Gazer and his Shannon had been trying to get pregnant for a while now. After four tries, what seemed to be a zillion shots, and much praying to the Big Guy above we got our wish.

For a while now I have been hesitant to let myself fully be happy about Shannon being pregnant. I felt as though I may jinx us. Or maybe it was the thought of things eventually falling apart. Whatever it was, I just never felt "it". The joy of being a father.

Well today at around 3:15 that ended.

A ton of bricks fell onto my head, each one engraved with the words "Lilly Grace."






As the ultrasound was being performed I found myself transfixed on the monitor. The gray blurs not making any sense but yet you know its a shape, a human shape. Arms and legs. A spine. A head. None of it really making the connection to one another, yet inside you, deep down inside, the reality is building up and bubbling up in your soul. A picture is shown, frozen. The bits and pieces become one image.

They become a human. A baby.

YOUR BABY!

You can see the little heart beat. And yours is racing. They play you a audio of the heartbeat, but you can barely hear it because your heart is thundering inside your head. You see the baby move, your soul is dancing inside you.

The tears well up in your eyes as you look at your wife and tell her "I love you!"

This was the day I saw for my own eyes what I had prayed to see. The smile on my wife's face as she was told...."Looks like a girl."

Thats when it hits you. This is when you hear that word echo in your head for the first time, and its transformed from just a word into an emotion.

Daddy.

I don't know what the future will bring. I am not going to worry about that just yet.
I just wanna soak in this a bit. Enjoy the feeling. Share it with my wife.

Hello Lilly Grace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home