Wednesday, October 12, 2005

My Shannon



Here she is in all her glory! My Shannon.

She is my rock.
The love of my life.
My friend.
My confidant.
My sounding board.
My teacher.
My shoulder to cry on.

She is my everything.

From our first date. (Well, I should say my first date. Long story, ask Tom.) I fell in love with My Shannon. It hit home one night when I was on my way to see her when she lived in Maine. It was an icy wet night in late November. I was making my way to Winthrop where she was living with her aunt Sherry. Ahead of me traffic is stopped leading down hill to a particularly nasty corner she traveled every day home from work. As I am sitting there waiting, staring at the flashing lights through sleet hitting my windshield, I notice a gnawing in the pit of my stomach. The more I sit and wait, the more agitated and nervous I am getting.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning you say? Nope. Something far more dangerous and deadly.....

It was love! In one sudden rush I go from agitated to frantic. I am praying to the Lord that it is not a green Rambler I see in a ditch ahead of me.

"No Lord! Please not her! Not now!"

As traffic slowly creeps forward I am constantly dipping to the left, trying to catch a glimpse of the scene ahead of me. After a few more dips to the right and almost side swiping a state trooper directing traffic I finally see the accident.....

To be honest, I cant remember really what the cause was. I just knew it wasn't her, and that was enough. A wave of relief washes over me. As soon as I am able I am speeding towards Sherry's house. As I turn into Sherry's drive way I notice the missing big green Rambler.

She has been somewhere behind me this whole time.

I take a seat on the couch, anxious. Now I am worried that I am already here and can not help her if something happens to her on the way home.

(I should take the time to explain I actually take medication for this. People who know me will be nodding their heads knowingly laughing to themselves, I am sure.)

Eventually I see lights sweep across the window and a low rumble of Shannons Rambler come to rest.
She is home.
She is safe.
She is the one I love.

I remember feeling all stupid and tingly as she walks in the door. I am trying to act cool, like "Oh. Your finally here. What are we doing for supper?". I will bet I am not pulling it off. I don't hide emotions well, even from myself.

I must have appeared like grinning idiot. Hell, I was a grinning idiot. The woman I knew I was going to wed someday was safe, and with me.

I still get frantic when she is late. I still grin like an idiot when I think of her. And I still love her now, if not more, then the day I found out I was totally in love with Shannon.

Happy anniversary my Shannon!

I love you.

Mike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home