Sunday, October 16, 2005

Just when you thought a giant could not get any taller.

Last night I sent Joel Meyerowitz an e-mail to just tell him I appreciate his work and whenever I go into a photographic funk or just need to refresh my palette, I look through a book I was given of his a few years ago called Cape Light.


Some may not know who Joel Meyerowitz is. He is a photography icon. I would say almost everyone has seen and admired a Meyerowitz shot at least once in their lives. If I was to name the top 2 photographers who I try to use as a blueprint for my own style it would without a doubt be Meyerowitz and Abell. Photography at its bare bones best. Street and fine art fused together. Less is more.Simple is better.

Joel Meyerowitz's did all this while pioneering color photographys use not only in street photography, but photography in general. He basically is one of the principle reasons color photography is what it is today.

This morning when I got home from shooting and going to Rietta with my friend Tom I came home to find Mr. Meyerowitz had responded. Something I did not expect. A brief note in which he thanked me and shared a book that inspired him. He expressed sympathy for losing my father. It is also appearent he looked at this blog. Go figure.


Its a good day!

Thanks Joel.

P.S.
I usually attach one of my photos to my posts but not this one. That would be like putting a Night Train label on a fine expensive exclusive bottle of wine.

"Im not worthy!"